To provide a clear understanding of the component parts of both mechanical and hydraulic power presses necessary to make competent entrapment rescue decisions through theory and practical training.
To provide a guideline for developing entrapment rescue procedures for individual presses
- Legal requirements and the CSA standard (Z142-2)
- A clear understanding of component parts of various power presses
- How the different power presses function
- Reducing the risk of entrapment through guarding and lockout
- Discussion of who is needed on the rescue team
- Necessary rescue equipment and the rescue storage box
- Overriding guards and controls that may delay a rescue
- Proper use of the air counterbalance system during rescue
- Importance of blocking the danger area and ram drifting on hydraulic presses
- Proper use of jacks
- Determining crankshaft position and direction of the flywheel and gears
- First aid requirements
- Sample entrapment rescue procedures for hydraulic and mechanical presses
- Requirements for notification and disturbance of the accident scene
- Actual simulation of an entrapment on the shop floor.
Press operators, millwrights, electricians, first aiders, die setters, supervisors, group leaders, and health & safety committee members.
Program Duration: One day (maximum group size is 20)